Tuesday 5 January 2010

Fitting In!

I entitled this blog as such because I am now in Germany. For those of you that do not know about my antics, I am currently just about to embark on a six month tour of Germany with two plays that are aimed at children learning English as a second language. I'm thoroughly enjoyed to be undertaking this work, and getting to know my tour buddy Eva Sampson.

Having landed in Dortmund and being presented with a particularly white winter wonderland, the adventures got underway! We got off the plane no problem, although I of course had problems finding my passport! We were greeted by our coach driver and the rest of our group. We had met the rest of the group in the airport in Luton. It's so random how small the theatre world is. One of the girls that I spoke to actually knows Anton from my MA class. She lives in Detroit, Michigan and actually knows Anton and indeed her sister went to school with him. There was another guy called Andy who I also recognised but could not lay my finger on where I knew him from. I eventually realised that I had been in a play with him 7 years prior when I had been at school and we had been used in a production of "Forty Years On".

I find the idea interesting that there is a maximum of "six degrees of separation" between you and anyone else in the world. I think in the acting world this could even be condensed into four degrees of separation. It's like a tight-knit family where even if you don't know someone closely, you know of them. This idea is probably why actors usually adapt to each others company really well. I mean, who else would be on a plane that's been delayed for an hour demanding Champagne and playing charades in the aisles. Charades actually turned out to be a lot of fun and we did continue it for most of the flight - in between seat hopping! The plane was fairly empty so we were able to continue mingling with each other.

So we have been in Germany now and admired the landscape on the drive to the base where we will be rehearsing for the next three weeks. It really is quite beautiful here. It reminds me slightly of england, but with a vaster expanse of countryside (from what we could see at any rate). So tonight we are going to be having a celebratory meal and the going out dancing/clubbing. I have officially registered for residency in Germany now for whilst I'm here on tour. I have also opened a German bank account and now we are just waiting to find our accomodation, which apparently is the luxury one - so everyone else is slightly jealous haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment