Sunday 3 January 2010

Insomnia - To Be Or Not To Be?

I would like to use the term insomniac to describe myself at the moment. I realise that this is completely inappropriate, and yet it feels apt.

Google defines insomnia as; an inability to sleep; chronic sleeplessness

Right now I would find that I have an inability to sleep. I have to make sure that this is not misconstrued with not sleeping at all. I am getting some sleep, but this can range from anything between 3 and 7 hours (usually more in favour of the former). I find that I am losing the ability to dream, and for me this is an integral part of sleeping. I know that there are people out there that don't dream, or can't find a way to. I have always dreamt from a young age. I find it truly magnificent the degree to which you can create near real worlds for hours at a time. One of the most amazing parts is that despite being asleep say - for two consecutive nights and acquiring 7 hours of sleep - you can feel like the dream has gone on for X amount of time on the first night and a completely different Y amount on the second night. It would be interesting to research into how and why people can have dreams that can appear to be of different lengths, despite them happening over the same amount of physical sleeping time.

I can imagine that there will be many more random ramblings of this kind from me in the coming weeks. I do hope though that this condition does cure itself. I'm not especially looking forward to starting my new job with a lack of sleep problem. However, for now this is your adventurous actor, signing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment